Home » Circuits
220V AC Lamp Toggle Switch CircuitCompact, transformerless circuitry No relays employed
Due to the low current drawing, the circuit can be supplied from 230Vac mains without a transformer. Supply voltage is reduced to 12Vdc by means of C1 reactance, a two diode rectifier cell D1 & D2 and Zener diode D3. IC1A, IC1B, R2, R3 and C3 form a reliable bounce-free toggle switch operated by P1. R4 and C4, wired to pin #6 of IC1B reset the circuit (lamp off) when power supply is applied. IC1C and IC1D wired in parallel act as a buffer, driving the Gate of the Triac through R5.
R1 = 470R
R2 = 10K
R3 = 100K
R4 = 100K
R5 = 1K
C1 = 330nF-400V
C2 = 100uF-25V
C3 = 100nF-63V
C4 = 10uF-25V
D1 = 1N4007
D2 = 1N4007
D3 = BZX79C12
D4 = TIC206M
IC1 = 4011 NAND Gate
- The circuit can be wired permanently to the mains supply as current drain is negligible.
- Due to transformerless design there is no heat generation.
- Low Gate-current Triacs are recommended.
- Obviously, other appliances can be powered in place of a lamp, provided their power dissipation does not exceed about 400W @ 230V
- 110-120Vac operation is easily obtained by simply changing C1 value to 680nF 250V. No further changes are necessary.
- In some cases, e.g. when the controlled device is far from the toggle switch, a pilot LED could be necessary for monitoring purposes. If so, disconnect pin #10 of IC1C from pin #11 of IC1D and wire a LED and its 1K series current limiting resistor across pin #10 of IC1C and negative supply.
- Warning! The circuit is connected to 230Vac mains, so some parts in the circuit board are subjected to lethal potential! Avoid touching the circuit when plugged in and enclose it in a plastic box.
- P1 will SPST Pushbutton